Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Goodbye, Sofia!

Hello friends! I hope your weekend was a good one! Our final weekend here in Sofia was awesome. On Friday night, Jordi and I returned to the Swingin' Hall (the first bar we saw here) along with Rachel. We had a few drinks, danced to the 90's American music, and chatted with some locals. Jordi even found a new love! Unfortunately, she doesn't remember his name, but from the pics, she remembers his mouth! Haha! My sister is the ultimate Makeout Bandit! We decided beforehand to leave around 1am because we were all attending a festival the next day, but when we jumped in the cab at 1:30, we were all pretty tossed.
The following morning was horrendous. I wasn't too hungover, but Jordi and Rachel were hurting. Several of the teachers from Mom's school, along with Rachel's parents and our own Mom, decided to rent a small bus to go to the famous Kukeri Festival that is held bianually just outside of Sofia. The 30 minute trek up the mountain was awful! I swear, Bulgarians do not believe in repaving their roads. They must have laid asphalt once about 300 years ago and then relinquished all responsibility from road maintenance. The roads are so full of potholes that the drivers either swerve sharply around them or just go through them. Oh, and shocks on cars? Meh! Why replace those either? Who needs shocks? You don't notice these things until your tummy hurts for whatever reason. Rachel and Jordi each had bags in case they had to toss their cookies. I don't even get carsick and I thought this was brutal!
So we finally get there, and it was a hangover's nightmare!!! The Kukeri Festival is an old tradition that brings people from all over the world together to mark the beginning of spring. There are bits about luck and fertility, but the main focus of the festival is to drive away evil spirits. Using VERY LOUD noises. I'm not kidding: the majority of participants were wearing row upon row of huge cow bells (which could have been funny any other day...can anyone say, "more cowbell, please!") and goat bells. They were beating on huge drums and were jumping around in order to sound the heavy bells as loudly as possible. They wear layers of animal skins and furs, masks, and elaborate costumes. They say it's an honor to be chosen to parade around like this, but those costumes must have reeked of animal death and sweat! It was a PETA nightmare! So disgusting yet so entertaining. There were thousands of people there to see the parade of costumes and participate in the festival, and I am really glad we went. I will just be sure to not drink the night before something like that. It was all very odd, and while you have to appreciate old tradition and culture, you have to also be thankful to be who you are. God, it's great to be American.
There were other things at this festival to be entertained by, and that was the Bulgarians themselves. Particularly, their fashion. Now, I'm not the fashion editor for Vogue or anything, but I know a fashion faux pas when I see one. And let me tell you, I saw more than one. Leopard print on top of tiger print under black pleather. Spandex on people who definitely should not wear spandex. Headbands from the 80's. Scrunchies from the 90's. Mom jeans galore. Knit sweaters your kindergarten teacher sported. Acid washed jeans, and not the ones from a bad music video. Oh, no. The Bulgarians are reinventing them, along with seams, zippers, and pockets all over the place. Thigh high stiletto patent leather boots. And the hair! Mullets are supposedly fashionable here! Business in the front, party in the back? I think not! Old ladies dye their hair every shade of red possible, from fire engine red to magenta. Let me tell you how glad I am that an American sang "I'm Bringin' Sexy Back" and not a Bulgarian. I cannot wait to get to London, one of the fashion capitals of the world.
All in all, we really enjoyed Sofia. Eastern Europe has it's own beauty and there are so many things to see and do out here. The culture is amazing, and the people are really nice once you get to know them.
It was awesome to be able to spend so much time with our Mama. Her spirit and desire to want to make this world a better place through teaching youth all over the world is admirable. My mom struggled through a bitter and ugly divorce, raising 3 kids on her own while putting herself through school full time. She attained her Master's Degree in the midst of custody and child support wars, all with superior grades. There were several people who told her this couldn't be done and who made her feel as though she didn't deserve happiness. She has loved and supported every single decision we have made, even when she hasn't agreed with them. She constantly tells us to fight for what we believe in and make sure whatever choices we make will ensure happiness and health. My mother is my hero, and she deserves every ounce of happiness she has and will continue to accrue. Although we miss having her just down the street from us, I now know that she is in a good place. She has great friends who care deeply for her and whom will protect her in all ways possible. And most of all, she is content. I am so proud of my Mama. I love you so much, Madre! We will be back to see you soon!
Goodbye, Sofia! Off to London!
Miss you all!
xoxox