Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dylan is leaving :(

Hey everyone! I have some sad news: Dylan is heading home to the states tomorrow morning. My poor brother has had issues with his celly, his bank account, and just about every journey we have been on has brought him misfortune. I just think he isn't cut out to travel with the three of us girls. Some people enjoy new experiences and take the good with the bad, while others feel better when in their comfort zones. It's unfortunate though. This may be the only time he has the freedom financially and emotionally to be out here, and he's choosing to cut it short. He's even forgoing Ecuador. I myself have been traveling since early college when I spent a semester abroad in Cambridge, England with Britty. We traveled a lot then, and over the past several years I have been fortunate enough to see a lot of this incredibly fascinating world. But there is one thing I've learned: if you aren't cut out to travel, you will be miserable the entire time. And when your bank is being shitty and your celly is being overcharged, that only adds to the misery. We will miss him dearly...I really wish he would at least come to Dublin and Amsterdam with us. Most of all, I just hope he doesn't regret this in the long run.
Jordi and I, on the other hand, are getting really excited to take off at the end of this month. Our plans keep getting better and better! I too have been having cell phone problems. They cut my service due to "unrecognizable activity" (even though they knew I would be abroad!) and tried to rape me on my texting charges, but it's all resolved now. They credited my account for ALL of my texts and roaming! Yay! My phone bill is still retardedly expensive, but it's worth it to keep a form of communicating with new friends we have made out here, and to text you all occasionally.
This last Saturday, Jordi, Mom and I attended a Chili Cook~Off at the U.S. Embassy here in Sofia. The security was incredibly tight, and they all looked at you as if you were a threat to the Embassy. When cars would pull up, they would even check under the hood and in the trunks for any possible danger. It was a trip. The attendants were mostly U.S. Ambassadors and their families, along with the teachers of AAS and some students and families. We tried a variety of chilis and there was a bar there where the U.S. Marines were bartending. There are only 5 Marines in Sofia, and they told us it gets really boring for them because they need to stay on base at almost all times. We met a couple who invited us out for drinks on Sunday, but Jordi and I declined, knowing how hungover we would be from Saturday night. This is because after the Chili Cook~Off, Rachel, Jordi and I went BIG!
We decided to go to this hidden bar called Alcohol (how creative!) that has a sort of secret entrance. We got there at about 10:30 (the time we normally head out to the bars), but it was dead! We were 3 of 6 people in the club...it was so funny! We met a Bulgarian girl who was waiting for her friends to arrive, and decided to start with shots and drinks. At around 11:30, the DJ arrived and it was suddenly packed! He was spinning really good trance and other mixes, and at about 3 spicy drinks deep, I was dancing as if no one was watching. It felt so good to dance and forget about everything else. Jordi met a really amazing dude we'll call Chester (for his attempted molester ways). He couldn't speak English so he had his friend translate for him: he was madly and deeply in love with Jordi. He didn't care that she had a "boyfriend" or that "her foot hurt so she couldn't dance with him." We had a couple of pictures of this dude, and he was a Creepy McCreeperson! Yikes! After he went away, we took a barrage of pics, drank more shots and cocktails, danced our asses off and finally decided to leave at around two, despite closing time being 6am. God, I remember partying and dancing all night in Tijuana when I was younger and not even feeling the effects the next day. But, to my chagrin, I am getting older and definitely do not have the resilience I used to. Sunday was a mellow day (thank God!), and Jordi and I nursed our hangovers with food Mom and Dylan kindly brought us. We had such a blast though, that the hangover was well worth it. They usually are, aren't they?
I'm bummed the Cowboys didn't make it to the final four, but I know this Superbowl will be an exciting one. I only have one request: please be safe! This Superbowl Sunday will mark the two year anniversary of the horrifying accident my brother and sister were in. They were hit by a drunk driver who was also on speed, and my brother almost lost his life. His arm is still really fucked up, but the emotional damage is worse. Our family has suffered greatly because of that stupid bitch who got in her car after drinking. Please, please, please do not drink and drive. Be smart and don't put yourselves or others at risk just because you want to get home. I love you all very much, and miss you dearly! Have fun and take a shot for me when the Pats kick some Giant ass! xoxox