Tuesday, February 19, 2008

London, Round 2

So, after Dublin Jordi and I felt the pull to get back to London. I seriously think that's where my heart belongs. It is so fucking awesome! There is so much to do and it's so easy to get lost and enjoy yourself while you find your way back again! We spent a lot of the last week soaking the city up. We went to the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery. One of my favorite things to do is play some Thievery Corporation or Nouvelle Vague on my iPod and just cruise around a museum to see every different form of art. We were fortunate enough to see Monet's "Water Lillies," Van Gogh's "Sunflowers," Manets, Renoirs, Rembrandts, Botticellis, da Vincis, Warhols and a fabulous Turner called "The Fighting Temeraire." It may all sound quite boring, but I fully appreciate a good piece of art, especially the impressionists.
We visited the London Aquarium on a particularly overcast day. It was so rad to watch all these kids (with the cutest British accents) asking their mothers if they could ride the seahorses and trying to touch the stingrays. I am fascinated by all forms of sea life (as long as it's behind glass) and was really glad we went to the aquarium. It was a great way to spend a few hours as the wind picked up and it started to drizzle.
One night we went out to a club called The Soho Review to go to a party Perez Hilton was hosting. I know, I know. But he's my guilty pleasure! Jordi and I went with our new Florida friend Allison, and when we arrived we were a little bummed. The line was filled with drag queens and emo kids. Now, don't get me wrong...I don't judge. Just not my scene. I'll leave that party to the kids who slit their wrists the wrong way and dudes that wear more eye makeup than me. I wanted to dance and laugh the night away, and this was clearly not the club that would make that happen for me.
We ended up at this club called Wax. It was supposedly VIP, but it was filled with more douche~bags than Sharkeez on a Saturday night. It seems like every guy out here loves an American girl and will do anything to get laid by one. Except brush their fucking teeth. WTF is up with Brits and their teeth? I don't get it. You would think they would make that extra effort. So getting hit on by guys who claim to work next to the Black Eyed Peas, Nelly Furtado and J.T. got really old really quick for us. I mean, you can claim all you want. But the truth is, what the hell would you be doing in a club as fucked as this one if you really know all these people? Buy some toothpaste and a new pick~up line.
On the brighter side, we were able to enjoy one of London's strongest selling points: the theatres. There are musicals playing on every corner, and we decided to take advantage of this very opportunity. What better play to see than "We Will Rock You" written by the remaining band mates of Queen?!? The play was soooooo fucking awesome. The humor, the song renditions and the acting was so great. Audience participation was a must, as we all know at least a handful of Queen songs. The best part was the tribute to Freddie Mercury, a true legend. He was a gay man who died of AIDS, but his legacy lives on through this incredible play. I was thoroughly impressed.
My absolute favorite part of London was Camden Town. Although some of you may have read that part of it burnt down, the streets are still thriving and are as lively as ever. There is soooo much good shopping, crazy nightlife, and people of all walks of life enjoying the whole scene. No judgement, no hate. Just a bunch of kids like us in one huge place, just out to have a little fun. Camden is a must if you ever make it out to London. I only wish we had discovered it sooner.
Amongst many pints and shots, lots of new friends, and a billion pictures, my days in London have been some of the best in my life. It breaks my heart to have to leave, but I know for a fact I will be back. Mark my words.
We are now off to Paris, the City of Lights. I can't wait to experience a whole new culture and more diversity. God...my life does not suck!
Miss you all! xoxox